Re: st: Why is in memory size different?

Subject   Re: st: Why is in memory size different?
Date   Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:24:15 -0500

Nicola, the difference seems to be 4 bytes per observation regardless
of the dataset, this is true for your case, and e.g. for the auto.dta.
It happens only in the MP versions as far as I can tell. (does not
happen in 9.2SE, and 10.0SE, happens in 11MP, 12MP, 13MP), but there
are more dimensions to the problem (32/64 bit, and version ordering).
All checks in Windows versions only.

It might be related to this:
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data-management/approximating-dataset-size/
and this
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-12/msg00195.html

If anything I would expect the 4 bytes to be added for the reported
size of dataset in memory, not for the dataset on the disk (since the
additional pointers created by Stata are not saved to disk, they only
exist in memory).

Note however, that the dataset width is returned correctly regardless
whether the dataset is in memory or on the disk, e.g. it is 43 for the
auto dataset.

Why do you need this size?
Data width is always reported correctly (for data in memory and on
disk) and it is saved to r() results. Use this if possible.

Best, Sergiy