RE: st: RE: Patient age at first cancer exam in STATA

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Patient age at first cancer exam in STATA
Date   Sun, 12 Jan 2014 01:52:43 +0000

John,

The simplest way to do what you are asking is to create a data set that has one record per patient,  For that try:

bysort Patid: keep if _n==1

This keeps the first record for each patient, which includes the age and count variables we created.  Then you can calculated means from that dataset.

Also take a look at the -collapse- command which is useful for creating single record per subject datasets from multiple record per subject datasets.

Regards,
Joe
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of [email protected] [[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:24 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: Patient age at first cancer exam in STATA

Dear Joe,

Perfect, that was incredibly helpful.

The only problem is that, I want to count the mean age at which the
first cancer test was conducted. For that I need in this variable only
one age per patientid (in the row where the first exam was conducted).

The same goes to number of days for which there was a cancer exam,
only one number per patientid (in any row)

Once again thank you

Kind Regards,

John