st: Bootstrap results of margins in multiply imputed data

From   "Singer, Adam" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Bootstrap results of margins in multiply imputed data
Date   Wed, 8 Jan 2014 18:30:53 +0000

Dear Statalist,

I am bootstrapping the percent change in x between two years using Stata 12.1.  I have written the following program and successfully called it in non-imputed data with the last line of code:

program pctchange, rclass
     logit x i.year
     margins year
     mat A = r(b)
     return scalar ratio = A[1,2] / A[1,1]
end

bootstrap r(ratio), reps(200) seed(12345): pctchange

My question pertains to implementing this program in multiply imputed data.  I have a multiply imputed dataset in Stata's mi format.  In this dataset, the regression must be run using "mi estimate: logit x i.year".  However, -margins- does not recognize regression results obtained using -mi estimate-.  In order to account for that and other research I've done on user-defined programs in multiply imputed data, I have rewritten the program as follows:

program pctchange, eclass properties(mi)
     logit sigpain i.year
     margins year, post
     mat A = e(b)
     ereturn scalar ratio = A[1,2] / A[1,1]
end

bootstrap e(ratio), reps(200) seed(12345): mi estimate, cmdok: pctchange 1

The last command doesn't work.  How do I combine -bootstrap- and -mi estimate-?  Is there a better way to write the program to accomplish my goal?  In addition, if I remove -bootstrap- from the command and simply use "mi estimate, cmdok: pctchange 1" (which works), I notice that e(ratio) is empty (when I ran my first program in non-imputed data, r(ratio) was not empty).  Does -mi estimate- interfere with my program's ability to return scalars?

Thank you very much!

Adam Singer

may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.