RE: st: Regression by industry and year excluding firm i

From   "Abdalla, Ahmed" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Regression by industry and year excluding firm i
Date   Wed, 8 Jan 2014 16:07:28 +0000

Dear Nick
I just want to thank you for the code. I replicated one study from the literature that used SAS, and I got almost the same results for regressions by industry (two digit SIC code) and fiscal year excluding firm i. I can confirm now that the code works perfectly!! Thanks again!

One more question, after I get the intercepts and coefficients b0 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 from regressions by industry and fiscal year , is there a code to test the significance of the coefficients mean from the regressions ? I used to see the significance from the regress command output, but since I executed the regressions in a different way using the loop you recommended, how can I see the significance of the regressions coefficients mean for the entire sample ?

Thanks

_______________________________________
From: [email protected] <[email protected]> on behalf of Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Sent: 13 December 2013 20:49
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Regression by industry and year excluding firm i

As before, you can't exclude firms *and* still have only one
regression for each combination of SIC and year. There has to be a
different regression for each firm, omitting each firm in turn.

Alternatively, what you want is not what I thought I said you want, so
feel free to change the code to do what you want.

For "STATA" read "Stata".

On 13 December 2013 20:38, Abdalla, Ahmed <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks Nick.
> I have unblanced panel data
>
> Firmid      datadate
> 1                1990
> 1                 1991
> 1                 1992
> 2                 1990
> 2                 1992
> 2                 1993
> 3                 1990
> 3                 1991
>
> so in each year we have a set of observations (firms) nested in a particular sic code. Many sic year groups.As far as I understand the regressions should run for each sic year group, hence we have as many regressions as each sic year group.  Note that firms 1 2 3 comes again in year 1990, 1991, etc. 9however in my data, it is unbalanced)
>
> The code works but does it achieve what I intend to do ?
>
> Sorry for that, but I have got the SAS code (from the paper author) and I used to work on STATA so I hope I can get an equivalent code in STATA. This will benefit a lot of scholars who estimate similar models.
>
> Thanks
> Ahmed

>>> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Fernando Rios