st: selecting the best combination of inputs

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: selecting the best combination of inputs
Date   Fri, 03 Jan 2014 15:20:13 -0500

This is not really a Stata question, though if there is a Stata solution that would be excellent. Mostly, I am wondering if there is a name for this problem that would let me find more information on it.

I have a dependent variable -devpvar-, which is the outcome for a particular team; teams are hospital based, and may be comprised of one or more different medical specialties: physician, registered nurse, social worker, occupational therapist, etc. For each team I have a flag (-f1-...,-f10-) for each of the 10 specialties, indicating whether that team had an individual of that specialty.

What I would like to know is the best way to construct a team. I can easily examine how much each specialty contributes to the outcome using OLS

. reg depvar f1-f10

However, it seems like the only way to determine the optimum team using a similar model would be via including ~1k interaction terms - I don't have to consider all possibilities, because there lower and upper limits on the team size, but this is still a bit much given that I have < 1000 obs. Is there another method, unknown to me, for getting at an answer to this problem? If not a solution, is there at least name for this problem?

thanks,
Jeph