Re: st: 2 dimensional graph for joint distribution

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: 2 dimensional graph for joint distribution
Date   Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:52:55 +0000

The graph in question is a two-dimensional distribution shown as a
perspective view of a three-dimensional column chart on a inclined
plane.

I regard this as a graphical horror, not least because some columns
are occluded. Be aware that many writers on statistical graphics warn
against using such plots. The main objection is that the third
dimension is spurious and doesn't actually help in getting an overview
of the data. For example, it can be hard to know exactly how to read
across from column tops to the vertical axis.

Nevertheless, this counts as a standard graph in some other software.

I don't think it is supported in Stata, any way.

Among various alternatives are

1. A scatter plot.

2. A two-way bar chart, as supported by -tabplot- (SSC). Here's a
dopey example of how to bin and plot the joint distribution of two
continuous variables.

sysuse auto, clear
clonevar length2 = length
replace length2 = 25 * floor(length/25)
clonevar weight2 = weight
replace weight2 = 500 * floor(weight/500)
tabplot weight2 length2, showval ysc(reverse)

The main point of -clonevar- here is to copy any variable labels,
which will show up on the graph.

The -floor()- function is used here to get equal-width bins defined by
their lower limits.