Re: st: R: Imputation of missing data in an unbalanced panel using ICE

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: R: Imputation of missing data in an unbalanced panel using ICE
Date   Fri, 25 Oct 2013 16:32:30 +0100

There is a bundle of issues here.

Carlo touches on one, which is what multiple imputation does and does
not purport to provide.

Another is that the method being used here -reshape-s panel data to
wide, imputes and then -reshape-s back.

This really does raise the question of precisely what assumptions are
needed about variations in time to make that legitimate. There's no
white magic independently of whether tacit assumptions match the data
generating process. I've not thought this through either -- I don't do
this stuff -- but I want to send a Hang on there... signal of caution.

No-one seems interested any more in interpolation as a rough family of
methods of filling in gaps in time series. Rather, it is a smooth
method of filling in gaps and raises questions of its own too.