Re: st: How to show variable label in a graph title

Subject   Re: st: How to show variable label in a graph title
Date   Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:24:03 -0400

Lin,
absence of a label should not cause an error message regarding
unbalanced quotes. It should display exactly the following line:
label of obese is
But not the error message. So that is confusing.

I was thinking exactly about the unbalanced quotes, or even some
non-printable characters in the label (e.g. if produced by a data
converter). If display command does not show the label - the graph
command will not show it either. So troubleshoot the display command
first. Try assigning your desired label immediately before you pick it
up. Then move backwards in your code towards the original assignment,
and see whether it is lost or transformed somewhere in the way.

Another strategy would be to try a different dataset. After all, if
you've created a dialog program for that command, there must be a few
suitable datasets available, so just try and see if other variable
labels get displayed. Once you find the one that does, see how is it
different from the one that does not work (shorter, longer, contains
commas, contains spaces, contains columns, quotes, etc).

If you are using any command that is distorting the labels (like
collapse) the solution is to back up the labels before you call the
command, then reapply them immediately after. This is easily done with
a loop and a bunch of locals.

Hope this helps, Sergiy Radyakin

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Song, Lin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> I think I figured out the problem from your email.  In my ado program, I used tabout to generate a new dataset, and in the process, the variable label is not transferred over.  I will try to figure out a way to make it happen.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lin

>>> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sergiy