Re: st: svyset command, pweight value?

Subject   Re: st: svyset command, pweight value?
Date   Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:59:23 -0400

Mikkel Høiberg <[email protected]>:
The simplest pweight is 1/p, where p is the probability of selection.
So if the 1250 surveys were a simple random sample of the 360144
people, and all the 1250 surveys were returned you would define
g s1w=360144/1250
for "stage 1 weight" noting in passing that this is not called a dummy
variable. But you have nonresponse. If the 635 responses were a simple
random sample of the 1250 you could
g pw=360144/1250*1250/635
or
g pw=360144/635
but I doubt either "stage" is a simple random sample. Nonresponse, in
particular, is unlikely to be random.  You will want to model the
probability of nonresponse as a function of observable
characteristics, including age and geography and whatever else you
can, then adjust appropriately.  Read a book on survey methodology,
for starters.