st: RE: xtoverid following xtreg returning an error

Subject   st: RE: xtoverid following xtreg returning an error
Date   Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:22:29 +0000

Jason,

-xtoverid- is an old-ish program and doesn't understand some features of modern Stata like factor variables, coefficient vectors with missing regressors, etc.

The problem might go away if you reestimate using -xtreg,re- but without factor variables, dropping by hand variables that Stata drops because of collinearity, etc.

HTH,
Mark

> The reason to use xtoverid in the first place is to get around the problem of a
> negative Chi-sq statistic from Hausman test upon
> performing:
> xtreg, re
> estimate store, random
> xtreg, fe
> estimate store, fixed
> hausman fe re
>
> Given that Hausman test doesn't always gurantee a positive stat, some argue
> such a negative statistic is qualitatively identical to a small stat, hence
> supporting re, but I don't know if that's really how I should report in an
> academic publication.
> Having tried the instruction on this webpage:
> http://kb.iu.edu/data/bcmq.html, I'm very sure xtoverid is compatible with
> xtreg, but it's just that this doesn't work for my dataset.
>
> Could anyone lend some help?
>
> Best, J

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.