R: st: R: Imputation vs substitution with mean

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: st: R: Imputation vs substitution with mean
Date   Sun, 20 Oct 2013 17:17:33 +0200

I thank Clyde for chiming in this thread.
I share the main meaning of almost all his clarifications, and I would add
the relevance of reducing the likelihood to have missing values when a study
is planned.
The importance of the underlying missingness mechanism and pattern cannot be
underestimated, too.
In general, I would dislike LOCF (and I have the same feeling about next
observation carried backward - NOCB) because the imputed value may well be
an outlier; however, bot these approaches can play a role in the "anything
goes" setting of sensitivity analysis when data are suspected to be missing
not at random.

However, James had a general question so my reply was general as well; that'
s why, among other things, I have pointed him to -[MI] intro substantive -
in Stata .pdf manual.

Best regards,
Carlo