st: Errors viewing and exporting gph

From   "Squibb, James G" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Errors viewing and exporting gph
Date   Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:12:51 +0000

Hello,

I am having difficulty opening (using or displaying) previously saved .gph files and exporting gph files to pdf.

My code:
                cluster dendrogram avg_d_mat_primaryjob ,labels(county) xlabel(,labsize(tiny) angle(vertical))
                graph save "$charts\distance_dendrogram" , replace
                graph export "$charts\distance_dendrogram" ,as(pdf) replace

The dendrogram graph displays according to my expectations upon creation and saves to the designated folder.

After closing that graph, however, using either "graph use" or "graph display" yields r198, invalid file specification or invalid file name, respectively.  So, I cannot view the graph.  I have the same problem whether I save it live or asis.  It won't open by double-clicking, either; it gives the same error message.

Trying to save through the "saving" option - cluster dendrogram avg_d_mat_primaryjob ,labels(county) xlabel(,labsize(tiny) angle(vertical)) saving("$charts\distance_dendrogram" , replace) - tells me that the file could not be opened.

Additionally, the graph export command yields r691.  I can confirm that the folder space is not full, which is the only hint that Stata help gives me.

I can save and use dta files in this folder without any problems.

I appreciate any insights about how I can resolve either of my problems.

Thanks,

Jimmy Squibb