st: RE: RE: RE: Change string to year and month date

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: Change string to year and month date
Date   Fri, 18 Oct 2013 15:33:59 +0000

Got it.  If you wanted your ages to be more precise, you could impute "15" for the birth day for each patient.  This would only be off by about 15 days in either direction and would be more accurate than using just year.  Or, as Nick just pointed out, you can use monthly dates, which will entail converting your admission dates to monthly dates.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of DeMichele, Matthew
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 11:28 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: Change string to year and month date

I didn't really think about the underlying framework of dates stored in Stata. And, it might be that my needs can be met by simply extracting the year only (which I have done). I have a date of birth variable in which the day was removed for confidentiality reasons. I wanted to calculate age of admissions and exposure types of variables, but it seems best to just compute these as years of age.

Thank you, Matthew