st: how to name a column with decimals

From   Evan Lee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: how to name a column with decimals
Date   Thu, 17 Oct 2013 22:18:11 +1000

Dear listers,

This might be a simple question, but I could not figure that out. I am
doing a loop: forvalues i = 1000(0.1)2000 {
bysort date: gen `i' = ln(i/closeprice)
}

As there will be 1001 new columns created, I would like each column to
be named using i. However, seems like stata does not allow decimal
places in the variable names and it came up with an error msg of
"invalid name".

Has anyone got a clue on this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Evan