Re: st: Estimating MNL model

From   Nabin Kafle <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Estimating MNL model
Date   Fri, 11 Oct 2013 15:57:31 -0500

I have a data set which has four choices, people choosing between car,
rail, auto and air. The choice of an alternate is affected by the
availability of the alternate (if air, rail, bus and car is available
to them or not), travel time and travel cost and age of the person. I
need to estimate the utility function for a person for choosing each
alternate. I could do it using biogeme but I am not sure how to do it
in stata.

The utility function would be
Vi,bus= constant+ B1*time+ B2*cost (assuming this is the base choice)
Vi, car= constant + B3*time + B4*cost + B5* age
Vi, air = constant + B6* time + B7* cost + B8*age
Vi, rail = constant + B9* time + B10* cost + B11* age

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Richard Williams
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Like Maarten, I am not totally sure what you want. But, Long and Freese do
> have an entire chapter on "Models for nominal outcomes with alternative
> specific data." Among other things they talk about the clogit command. They
> also describe various utilities for setting the data up and interpreting the
> results.
>
> For more, see
>
> http://www.stata.com/bookstore/regression-models-categorical-dependent-variables/
>
> See especially chapter 7 and maybe chapter 6. My best guess is that you
> especially want
>
> 7.2.5 Using clogit with case- and alternative-specific variables
>

> If you type -findit spost9- you can get the programs used in the book.
>
> If this isn't the sort of thing you are looking for, then please provide
> additional details.
>
> As a sidelight I have read various descriptions of the clogit command --
> Long & Freese's, and using clogit for fixed effects models -- and it sort of
> amazes me that they are talking about the same command, as the uses seem
> radically different.
>

> At 11:23 AM 10/11/2013, Nabin Kafle wrote:
>>
>> How can I estimate MNL moedl in stata with alternate specific and
>> generic variables. What would be the command to describe them and run
>> the model. Thanks in advance
>>
>> --
>> Nabin Kafle
>> *