Re: st: Time-dependent variables and the simon & makuch method (Out of office: Vacation )

From   "Newton Cheng" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Time-dependent variables and the simon & makuch method (Out of office: Vacation )
Date   Wed, 09 Oct 2013 05:52:38 -0500

To whom it may concern,
I am out of office.
Will get back to your inqury on the week of 9/10/2012

>>> Florian Posch <[email protected]> 10/09/13 05:51 >>>

Dear Statalisters,

your help would be very much appreciated on the following:

I'm working on a dataset where I am modeling the impact of a
time-dependent variable (the onset of thrombosis during follow-up) on
survival. This analysis works fine with stsplit, and is pretty much the
same as done in the Stanford Heart Transplant data example:

The Stata Journal (2004) 4 , Number 2, pp. 221�222
Stata tip 8: Splitting time-span records with categorical time-varying
covariates

Again, my analysis works well for the Cox model, Kaplan-Meier survival
curves, and the logrank-test (as illustrated in the Staa journal paper
above). However, some recent reviews postulate that time-dependent
covariates can validly be used in the Cox model but that is is
INAPPROPRIATE to use them in Kaplan-Meier survival curves and the
logrank test. These reviews suggest that the appropriate substitute
methods in this setting are the Simon & Makuch plot (substitute for
Kaplan-Meier curves), and the Mantel-Byar test (substitute for the
logrank test).

Searching the web I found some posts in forums and a couple of papers on
Pubmed which say that Stata has implemented these methods, however, I
could not find such a package on the SSC or anywhere else in Stata. A
prior post regarding this issue on statalist remained unanswered:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-05/msg00079.html

Do you know where I can find these analysis methods for Stata?

Thank you very much in advance for your input!

Flo

Florian Posch, MSc
MD PhD Student
Medical University of Vienna