RE: st: How to plot cdf after corrected kernel density

From   philippe van kerm <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to plot cdf after corrected kernel density
Date   Fri, 4 Oct 2013 12:30:46 +0000

Nick is right: -akdensity- does nothing specific to address lower and upper bounds for data on a restricted range.

I guess the short answer Monica may be looking for is to use -integ- instead of -cumul- (but see Nick's point about crude integration methods on smart PDF estimation)

  sysuse auto
  _kdens mpg, g(b a)
  integ b a , gen(cb)
  line cb a, sort

Note that if interest is ultimately in the (smoothed) CDF, she requires a much smaller bandwidth than what would be 'optimal' for the PDF estimation.

A transformation of the data may sometimes be a way to deal with boundary issues in kernel density estimation.

Philippe