st: Plot start to end dates using spike command

From   "Hagger-Johnson, Gareth" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Plot start to end dates using spike command
Date   Thu, 3 Oct 2013 10:57:28 +0000

Dear Statalist

I have some data in long format recording the start/end days of a period, the number of days in that period (days) and the day a separate event (eventday) occurred.

id	start	end	days	eventday
1	1	2	1	30
1	40	40	0
2	25	26	1	200
2	265	268	3
3	10	15	5	17
4	20	25	5	234
5	15	35	20	16

I have plotted these using the spike command.

Is it possible to have horiztonal lines connecting the start and end days (line of length 'days')? Put differently, plot a line of length 'days' starting at 'start'?
I can't seem to figure out how to start 'days' from 'start'.

*******EXAMPLE

gen length=365.25

twoway spike length id, lcolor(none)horizontal || scatter id days,ms(none) mlabpos(0) mlabsize(*2) || scatter id start || scatter id end || scatter id eventday, title("Time period and separate event") legend(order(3 "Start" 4 "End" 5 "Event"))

*****

Thank you in advance; any suggestions appreciated.

Gareth