Re: st: Problem: Mlogit: Variance Matrix nonsymmetric after bsample

Subject   Re: st: Problem: Mlogit: Variance Matrix nonsymmetric after bsample
Date   Wed, 2 Oct 2013 08:52:56 -0500

Why do you think bootstrapping is going to give you more robust
results? Justifications of the bootstrap are all asymptotic. If you
want to extract higher precision of your confidence intervals, then
you need to bootstrap the t-statistics and then apply the bootstrap
distribution of the t-statistic to what's produced on the base sample
(which -bootstrap- does not do at the moment, although arguably it
should -- consider this a feature request for Stata 14 :) ).

Having said that, I think the major problem with your code is that
-restore, preserve- should be within the cycle, so that you -bsample-
the original data again and again. What you do right now is:

set seed 111111
sysuse auto, clear
tab rep
bsample
tab rep
bsample
tab rep
bsample
tab rep

As you see, you have successfully destroyed the least populated  group
of rep78==1 after just three -bsample-s.

-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (ASA, SSC)
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI
-- Opinions stated in this email are mine only, and do not reflect the
position of my employer
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name