Re: st: Problem with sfcross - r(3200) error

From   Federico Belotti <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problem with sfcross - r(3200) error
Date   Tue, 1 Oct 2013 11:16:22 +0200

Dear Reut,

As expected, your problem was due to a not feasible starting values issue. The fact that now the optimization does not reach convergence might depend on a lot of things. See below for three of them.

On Sep 30, 2013, at 9:36 PM, Reut Levi wrote:

> Dear Federico,
>
> First of all thank you for your comments. I was not aware that I need to explain where user written programs come from, but will definitely explain it in the future.  So, for any future commenters, as was already specified, the command, sfcorss, comes from the SSC.
>
> Second, I’ve read about the rescale and restart options for the starting values, but I’m not sure I understand the reasoning behind it to determine whether I need it or not.  Nonetheless, I tried to add it to my code and I am not getting that error anymore (r 3200 – initial values not feasible).  However, it seems that convergence is not achieved because the outputs for Usigma, sigma_u and lambda are missing.  So when I try to predict my efficiency scores, using the syntax:
> predict double ine, u
> gen eff=exp(-ine)
> I get a single efficiency score for my entire data.

1) the inefficiency component might not be identified because of normality. So, try to test for residual normality after a simple constrained regression using the following syntax

cnsreg lntc lnp1-lnloanslndd,  constraints(1 2 3)
predict res, res
swilk res

2) Your translog cost frontier is not correctly specified. You can find an example of multiple output translog cost frontier in Kumbhakar and Lovell (2000) pag. 143.

3) Poor starting values may lead to convergence problems (here my second suggestion might help).

> As to the other suggestion you made, I don’t have previous constrained regression so I don’t think I can do that.  I’m not an expert in Stata, so if you don’t think I understood you suggestion, please clarity.

My suggestion was about the specification of better initial values for the coefficients using the option -svfrontier()-. Since you problem is due to poor starting values, you may try using the following syntax

cnsreg lntc lnp1-lnloanslndd, constraints(1 2 3)
mat b0 = e(b)
sfcross lntc lnp1-lnloanslndd, distribution(hnormal) cost constraints(1 2 3) svfrontier(b0) svu(-1) svv(-1)

As you can see, the options -svfrontier(b0) svu(-1) svv(-1)- have been added to the syntax. -svfrontier(b0)- specifies the values of the vector "b0" as starting values for the frontier coefficients, while -svu(-1) svv(-1)- specifies the value "-1" for the variances' parameters. Indeed, the evaluators of -sfcross- parametrize (regardless from the inefficiency distribution) the variances of inefficiency and idiosyncratic terms as

sigmau = exp(0.5 * lnsu)
sigmav = exp(0.5 * lnsv)

This means that a value of "-1" for "lnsu" and "lnsv" corresponds to a starting value for these two variances of about 0.6.

> Third, as to you comment about not being able to understand if my translog cost frontier is correctly specified, can you please tell me what information should I give you so that you will able to determine that? Not every day I get to read suggestions from the actual person who wrote the command so I don’t want to pass on this opportunity!

Looking at your code, it seems to me that the squared outputs are not part of your model. As mentioned before, you can find an example of multiple output translog cost frontier in Kumbhakar and Lovell (2000) pag. 143.