Re: st: RE: Efficient parallel computing in Stata/MP

From   Demian Panigo <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Efficient parallel computing in Stata/MP
Date   Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:55:01 -0300

Thanks a lot. I need to run many linear and panel regressions (with
many associated tests) but over a rather medium to small database. So,
you are wright, multiple Stata instances (even Stata SE or IC
instances) will help more than splitting the dataset into multiple
clusters (as Stata MP does).
Notwithstanding, some additional time reduction can be obtained by
means of Stata/MP but I only have an 8-core CPU available for private
use. Just like you, I'm not sure about how many cores I need to take
full advantage of each additional Stata/MP instance.
I hope some guy in Stata corporation could help me with that.
Thanks again
Demian

2013/9/26 Timothy Mak <[email protected]>:
> It should be borne in mind that the speed increase in using MP (as opposed to SE or IC) is very often only significant if you're analysing a large dataset, especially for something as simple as -regress-. Opening multiple instances of Stata, however, does not have that limitation, as long as your computer has multiple cores. Also, I'm unsure whether you need 16 cores to fully utilize the MP power if you were to run 4 instances of Stata with MP4 capabilities. Maybe Statacorp would be able to comment on that more. See also -parallel- from SSC for a possible shortcut in parallelizing your work.
>
> Tim

Demian T. Panigo
Lic. en Economía, UNLP,
Master en Cs Sociales, UBA,
Doctor en Economía, EHESS-ENS (Paris)
Investigador Adjunto del CEIL-PIETTE del CONICET
Docente investigador de la UNM, de la UNLP, de la UBA, y de
Paris-Jourdan Sciences Economiques-ENS.
Miembro del Programa de Formación Popular en Economía (PROFOPE)