Re: st: Identify country from a latitude longitude base

From   Jed Cohen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Identify country from a latitude longitude base
Date   Mon, 9 Sep 2013 15:23:17 +0200

Hi,
In stata I think this would be tricky. You could always find the
northern, southern, western, and eastern longitude and lattitute
bounds of each nation and then just create binary indicator variables
for whether or not your coordinate falls within these bounds. This
would take time, and not be completely accurate beacause many
countries are not squares. I use spatial statistics often, and would
use ArcGIS or similar program for this. You just project your
coordinates onto a country map and do a spatial join.
Best!
JED

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Mauricio Andrés Vela
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a data with the latitude and longitude location of some events
> around the world but it don't have any variable that identify which
> country correspond to that latitude and longitude. Is there any
> command or how could I identify the country from the latitude and
> longitude information?

Jed J. Cohen
Graduate Researcher
Virginia Tech
Dept. of Agricultural and Applied Economics