st: Spatial Weight Matrix to Data File Linkage for Estimating Spatial Correlation

From   Jason Bond <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Spatial Weight Matrix to Data File Linkage for Estimating Spatial Correlation
Date   Wed, 28 Aug 2013 23:03:03 +0000

I am trying to use the 'spat' set of commands to estimate spatial correlations.  I've defined my spatial weight matrix using 'spatwmat' where the rows and columns correspond to the sorted values of the spatial area identifier variable.  Then, when I read in the data file for which I'm attempting to estimate spatial correlations, I also sort this file by this same spatial area identifier variable.  The spatial correlation is indeed estimated, but there is not check of the hard identifier linkage between the spatial weight matrix variable and the data file.  That is, if I were to sort the data file by some other variable that was unique for each case (with a different order produced that that of the spatial area identifier variable), I could still run the spatial correlation procedure and get no error.  So I'm wondering if anyone out there knows about issues of linkage between the spatial weight matix and data files.  For instance, I don't even know for sure whether my first a!
 pproach described above is the proper format for the routine...as the documentation for the program simply doesn't discuss this issue.  Thanks for any info,

  Jason