st: Question about comparing sqreg models

From   Milena Nikolova <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Question about comparing sqreg models
Date   Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:54:59 -0400

Hi Billy and James:

Thank you both for your responses. I am trying to compare the coefficient estimates (mainly significance) between two models - one with, say, 10 controls (Model 1), and one with 13 controls (Model 2). In other words, I'd like to compare what happens to the coefficients estimates of Model 1 evaluated at, say, the median, when I add additional controls. Does this make more sense?

@James: So, are you suggesting that the two models can be compared just like OLS models? My main concern was that some models e.g., logits/probits/ologits cannot be compared the same way that OLS models can (i.e., using the same techniques and tests) as Richard Williams, among others, has so eloquently explained in this Statalist and elsewhere. I was wondering whether there is anything about the error variance or anything else about quantile regressions that make comparisons across models incorrect.

Many thanks in advance!!!
Milena