Re: st: generate variable equal to first non-zero value in row

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: generate variable equal to first non-zero value in row
Date   Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:59:58 +0100

(Revised version, thanks to comments by Eric Booth)

How would you do it by hand? You would look at each variable from left
to right until you find the first non-zero. So, Stata can be
instructed to do that too.

This code assumes no missings in -out*-. If missings are present, add
an extra condition -!missing(out`j')-.

gen first_nz = .
gen where_first_nz = .

qui forval j = 1/5 {
        replace first_nz = out`j' if out`j' & first_nz == .
        replace where_first_nz = `j' if out`j'  & where_first_nz == .
}

Note here that

 if `outj'

is short-hand for

if `outj' != 0

and we also need conditions such as

first_nz == .

If all values are zero, both variable remain set to missing.