Re: Re: st: Propensity score matching: Must all treated samples have a counterfactual?

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: Propensity score matching: Must all treated samples have a counterfactual?
Date   Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:13:57 -0400

Ricky,

You've got a very small sample size here, and by using matching within a
caliper, you're likely to lose some "non-treated" units, simply because
there are not enough similar non-treated units to choose from.

If it were me, I would probably consider using a weighting mechanism on all
units within a doubly robust approach. You won't lose non-treated units.
Moreover, if either the outcome model or the propensity model is correct,
the doubly robust estimate is unbiased. Again, I will reiterate that you
have a small sample size...

It is up to you to do your due diligence to determine if there is overlap in
covariates used to generate the propensity score (and used in the outcome
model). If there is little or no overlap, it means that you'll be
extrapolating beyond the data. This not a situation you want to find
yourself. You may ultimately decide to use regression with no fanciness, and
call it a day.

In Stata 13 there are doubly robust commands available: -teffects aipw-, and
-teffects iprwa-.

If you are using older versions of Stata, you can implement doubly robust
methods using -dr- (http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/mark.lunt)
or -drglm- (http://www.stata-journal.com/software/sj13-1)

Be aware that these two programs provide an ATE, not an ATT estimator as you
would get from matching.

Ariel