st: How do I split a string variable without spaces by capital letters?

From   Andrew Dickens <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How do I split a string variable without spaces by capital letters?
Date   Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:06:05 -0400

Hi all,

I'm currently running Stata 10, and I'm having a problem splitting a string variable by capital letters. Elena Vidal posted something under a similar title, http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-11/msg01195.html, but the her problem is somewhat different than mine and I was unable to troubleshoot.

An example of my data is as follows:

clear all
inp str13(v1)
"TestOne"
"ThisistestTwo"
"AndThree"
end

The problem is the capital letter I wish to split each cell by is not consistently placed.

I tried splitting using this code:

split v1, p(upper(a-z))
or
split v1, p(upper(.))

but this just generates an identical variable to v1.

What I would like to do is create two new variables, so the first observation of my example would have "Test" in the first new variable and "One" in the second new variable. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your consideration.

Andrew