Re: st: Propensity score matching: Must all treated samples have a counterfactual?

From   "Sebastian Beil (dienstlich)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Propensity score matching: Must all treated samples have a counterfactual?
Date   19 Aug 2013 09:35:14 +0200

Hello Ricky,

if you cannot match every treated observation your estimated treatment effect becomes a local one (it is bound to the matched sample). This is not very rare with propensity score matching.

As regards the choice of the caliper/radius you should bear in mind, that matching serves the goal to balance background covariates. If that can be achieved with a certain caliper everything is fine. So checking the balancing property after matching is most important. On the other side, a caliper size of 0.5 seems far to large (if your pscore is the probability for receiving treatment) and part of your treated observations are of definitely support. In that case you should stick with the local average treatment effect for the treated (or reestimate the pscore with a different model).

Best regards,
Sebastian

Am 17.08.2013 08:33, schrieb statalist-digest:
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:57:09 +0100
From: Ricky Lim<[email protected]>
Subject: st: Propensity score matching: Must all treated samples have a counterfactual?

Dear Statalisters,

I ran running propensity score matching using -pscore- and would like
to do radius & nearest neighbour matching (nearest 3 within +- x
score).
15 out of 20 of my treated samples have more than 3 counterfactuals
within 0.05 scores,
whereas the remaining 5 have 1 or none.
Their propensity scores are at the extreme and I would need to
increase the range to +-0.5 before they will have 3 counterfactuals
each.

My questions are:
1. Must every treated sample have a counterfactual / control?
2. Is a radius of 0.5 score too wide? Is it be acceptable to use the
nearest 3 within 0.5 score?

Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Thank you very much in advanced.

Regards,
Ricky

--
Sebastian Beil, M.A.

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Lehrstuhl für empirische Sozialforschung

Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Fakultät für Sozialwissenschaft
Universitätsstr. 150
D-44780 Bochum