Re: st: how to do subsampling in stata

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to do subsampling in stata
Date   Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:07:07 -0400

Stas, I am not sure I'm with you on this one.

1. Subsampling looks much, much easier to implement than other novelties.
2. Many if not most people use bootstrap not because they derived that
their estimator is smooth but exactly because they worry that
something is not exactly canonical in their problem or application,
but hey, they can just bootstrap it. My admittedly limited
understanding of the difference between the two methods suggest that
subsampling is the safer bet.
3. The original (?) question on Statalist even mentioned that Abadie
and Imbens tried to warn people that matching is exactly a problem
where the bootstrap can be problematic, while subsampling they
recommend. With version 13, Stata became a matching powerhouse. Why
not support this simple thing, then?
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-04/msg00920.html

Best,

Laszlo