Re: st: Define nested logit with many choices

From   Michael Barker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Define nested logit with many choices
Date   Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:42:33 -0400

You can use the - levelsof - command to get a list of all restaurants
in a given category:

levelsof restaurant if rating==5, local(star5) separate( | )
gen star5 = restaurant==`star5'

This gives you a list of restaurant numbers, not the actual names,
which are just value labels. But nlogitgen works with actual values or
value labels.

An easier way would be to use the rating variable directly to define
your categories:
nlogitgen type = rating(high: 5 | 4 | 3, low: 2 | 1 | 0)

By the way, if you make one group for each rating, you will just get
back something equivalent to the original "rating" variable.

Mike