st: RE: ivreg2: Sample split finds bigger effect in period 1, interaction in period 2-- which one is right?

Subject   st: RE: ivreg2: Sample split finds bigger effect in period 1, interaction in period 2-- which one is right?
Date   Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:24:30 +0000

JZ,

In your pooled regression

> gen late = year>=3
> gen x_late = x*late
> gen z_late = z*late
> ivreg2 y controls (x x_late = z z_late)

you're interacting "late" with the endogenous regressors x and the instruments z, but not with the "controls".  This means you're imposing the same coefficients on "controls" in the two regressions but allowing the coeffs and instrumenting to be different.  You probably also want to interact "controls" with "late".

HTH,
Mark

> Thank you so much and kind regards,
> JZ

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.