R: Re: st: RE: Cox regression for grouped survival data

From   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: Re: st: RE: Cox regression for grouped survival data
Date   Fri, 9 Aug 2013 08:23:43 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Steve,

thanks for your attention

you can be as semi-parametric as you'd like with -cloglog-. With
enough data you can fit a separate integrated baseline hazard to
each

interval.

Ok, almost agree.

But a parsimonious approach is to fit a flexible polynomial to the

period terms, perhaps a fractional polynomial (-fp-). In a similar

spirit, the packages -stpm- (Royston) and -stpm2- (Lambert) at SSC fit

restricted cubic splines to the survival function.

Yes, the FPM are a great tool for survival analysis, but we can use
this approach for data at individual level.

Here we are using grouped data, i.e data where we know the number of
events and censored observations within intervals.

I believe that this kind of data are used by Feuer and coll. to develop
the "profile of prognostic factors" within the Cancer Survival Query
Siystem.

Enzo

The shortcomings of the the standard Kaplan-Meier and Breslow
estimates

(Breslow, 1972) were presented by Lambert and Royston at the 2009 UK

Stata meetings. Cox himself preferred a parametric approach (Reid,
1994,

p. 450), as did Efron (1988).