st: Assigning pweight for -svy- data, based on data loss not survey design

From   Nicholas Gebbia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Assigning pweight for -svy- data, based on data loss not survey design
Date   Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:37:03 -0500

Hey!

I'm working with pretest/posttest survey data evaluating an education
program, looking at changes in responses to Disagree/Neutral/Agree
questions, across paired pre and post surveys. I want to test for
significance in response changes (e.g. "For Q10, is the change in
Agree responses significant? ... Neutral responses? ... Disagree
whether the dummy variable denoting pre/post survey turns out
significant. The problem is that I also want to account for the sample
population's differences from the entire population enrolled in the
program. I've already constructed a weight (I believe pweight?) to
account for gender-school representation (e.g. If 12% of all program
students are females at School B, and 7% are males from School D, then
my weighted sample reflects this). The normal -probit- and -logit-
commands don't take weights, so I've set up the data with -svyset-,
and running a -probit- appears to work correctly (the marginal effects
of "post" on agreeing to Q10, for example, equals the mean given by
-sum- for the change in Agree with weight applied). Especially as I'm
new to -svy- in Stata, I wanted to double-check that I've done the
-svyset- correctly, and that my standard errors are accurate.

The sample data is not sampled by design. Rather, all students in the
program are supposed to take the pre and post surveys; however, for
myriad data loss explanations, I only have matched pairs for about
half the population. The only weight I've yet constructed is the one
I've already referenced. My setup looked like this...

. svyset id [pw=weight]

where "id" simply denotes the ID of each student. Does this look okay?
Based on the marginal effects reported by

. svy: probit q10agree post

it looks like the weight has been applied as I intended (reasoning
mentioned above). Is there any way in which the weight I'm using is
not quite appropriate for the -svy- setup, especially insofar as it
might skew standard errors?

I've also given a preliminary check to the standard errors by
comparing to the standard errors reported by running the same -probit-
but sans -svy-, and there seems not to be any major difference (which
would be expected, as the weight does have an effect on responses, but
not a drastic one).

Any comments are much appreciated.
- Nick