Re: st: Dealing with panel data

From   John Kenny <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dealing with panel data
Date   Wed, 7 Aug 2013 16:31:11 +0100

Thanks Nick,

Having looked over your the solution you recommended it does not quite
achieve what I am looking for. The previous solution got the mean of
the overround for every race held at a particular meeting. The first
command found the number of times the favorite won the first race at
the each meeting. The second command I as I understand it gets the
mean of the overround when 'fav_won_1 & race_no > 1'  for each
meeting.

1) egen fav_won_1 = total(favourite == 1 & race_no == 1), by(meeting)
2) egen mean_overround = mean(overround/(fav_won_1 & race_no > 1)), by(meeting)

This however is not what I am trying to analyse and I apologise for
the poor explanation of my problem. The overall solution I want to get
is the mean of the overround for each race depending on the outcome of
the previous races at that meeting on a particular day .  Examples of
this are get the mean of the overround for the 4TH race if the
favorite won the first race, another example is getting the mean of
the overround for the second race if the favorite won the first race,
along with other variations of races and whether the favorite won
either the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd race.

Any Further help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John