Re: st: SEM with bootstrapping for mediation - goodness of fit and statistical inferences

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: SEM with bootstrapping for mediation - goodness of fit and statistical inferences
Date   Mon, 05 Aug 2013 23:02:34 +0200

Hi Neeraj:

Two things:

1. is your mediator exogenous? If not so, you model is misspecified. You can test for the endogeneity of MV by estimating:

 sem (mv <- iv cv1 cv2) (dv <- mv cv1 cv2), cov(e.mv*e.cv)

If the covariance of the disturbances is significant (this is the Hausman test) then this means that mv is endogenous with respect to dv. If mv is endogenous then including iv next to it as a predict of dv will make the estimates of iv inconsistent.

This is all explained in detail here:

Antonakis, J., Bendahan, S., Jacquart, P., & Lalive, R. (2010). On making causal claims: A review and recommendations. The Leadership Quarterly, 21(6). 1086-1120. http://www.hec.unil.ch/jantonakis/Causal_Claims.pdf

For quick intuitive explanations too about the problem of endogeneity and mediation watch this video (the 16min 30 secs are a basic intro to endogeneity--thereafter I talk about mediation):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuTjoYmfXs

2. your model, or the one above I have shown you are just identified; you are estimating as many parameters as there are elements in the variance-covariance matrix. Thus the DF = 0 and there is nothing to test and the model will perfectly reproduce the variance-covariance matrix.

3. Bootstrap the indirect effect does not really do much. You might as well just you a robust estimate of the variance:

sem (mv <- iv cv1 cv2) (dv <- mv cv1 cv2), cov(e.mv*e.cv), vce(robust)
estat teffects

I suspect you are doing the bootstrap to follow the Preacher and Hayes (Preacher, K. J. & Hayes, A. F. 2004. SPSS and SAS procedures for estimating indirect effects in simple mediation models. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 36(4): 717-731. recommendations. However, they recommend to use the bootstrapped coefficient along with the boostrapped SE, which is not what you are doing, and which is a very bad idea. See p. 198 of the Stata manual entry on the bootstrap (for version 13 of Stata)--I am talking about the citation by Efron.

HTH,
J.

John Antonakis
Professor of Organizational Behavior
Director, Ph.D. Program in Management

Faculty of Business and Economics
University of Lausanne
Internef #618
CH-1015 Lausanne-Dorigny
Switzerland
Tel ++41 (0)21 692-3438
Fax ++41 (0)21 692-3305
http://www.hec.unil.ch/people/jantonakis

Associate Editor:
The Leadership Quarterly
Organizational Research Methods (incoming)