Re: st: Bug in Stata 13 (Mac) with compress duplicating variables?

From   Wayne Folta <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Bug in Stata 13 (Mac) with compress duplicating variables?
Date   Sat, 03 Aug 2013 19:05:56 -0400

I poked around and poked around, and I may have found something. I haven't had the chance to reproduce everything, but the dta that my data originally came from was created by exporting from R using the 'foreign' package's function to export a dta. (I have since saved over the original with saves from Stata, unfortunately, so have to recreate it.) It's possible that this introduced a problem that eventually tripped up compress.

Both year and month were integers -- and not factors -- and I first though that things went wrong with compress because I remember seeing that month was compressed to a byte (makes sense, it's only 1..12), which might be coincidence or might not. I can't remember the name of the third variable, but year and month were adjacent and in the middle of the data set, column-wise, so all three might've been adjacent.