Re: st: tobit interpretation

From   David Jones <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: tobit interpretation
Date   Thu, 1 Aug 2013 02:17:56 -0400

Hi Christine,

it is important to remember that with nonlinear models such as tobit,
probit,etc, the coefficient is not directly interpretable. There are
some cases (I'm not sure off the top of my head!) where the sign might
be directly interpretable (such that an increase in your independent
causes a decrease in your dependent). What you are truly interested in
is the marginal effect of a change in the variable. This can be easily
found by using the command margins. For more information about the
syntax, look at the help file.

It is important to note, however, that there are multiple values for
which you might be interested in the marginal effect of. You may look
at the mean of the variable, you may look at a specific value that is
of concern to your research (such as the increase from zero to one -
ie zero participation to participation). It may be helpful to read
about marginal effects here:
http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/faculty/abbott/econ452/452note03_new_slides.pdf

I don't know your level of sophistication with calculus, so that may
not be helpful, but I hope I've started to give you an idea!

Best,
David