Re: st: sum of count using a loop

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: sum of count using a loop
Date   Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:44:19 +0100

Sergiy Radyakin and I responded to this with, respectively, code and a
pointer to an existing program.

What remains of some interest is how to program it yourself. I think I
see Keniajin's basic idea, and here is one way to take it forward.

Set up a matrix for the counts with initial values 0.

mat counts = J(4,1,0)

Loop over the possible values and the possible variables. Count
occurrences, adding the result to the count so far.

qui forval i = 1/4 {
      foreach v of var *source {
             count if `v' == `i'
             mat counts[`i', 1] = counts[`i', 1] + r(N)
     }
}

mat li counts