Re: st: why is there no weight option in -esize-?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: why is there no weight option in -esize-?
Date   Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:16:54 +0100

I am going to disappoint you by writing a different comment.

In my experience there are three main reasons why something is not yet
implemented:

1. Pure oversight, or "I don't want that myself".

2. Impending deadlines.

3. The programmer(s) is/are not (yet) clear how to implement something
_so that it produces dependable results_.

In the case of common or garden users, guess at #1 or #2.

In the case of StataCorp, guess at #3. Often (indeed always) writing
the code is secondary for StataCorp. There is typically a project
based on simulations designed to work out how some method behaves with
the extra something. For example, perhaps weights cause sampling
distributions to be very poor approximations whenever there is some
extreme pattern of weights.

It's not just pushing code out of the door. It's defending or
explaining to users when tech support gets reports of really
strange-looking results.

Ariel will know this, really, but as always a thread started by one
can be of wider interest, hence the broader remarks.

That said, I have complete ignorance of any particular reasons that
may apply with this command.