Re: st: should estat sd reports same sd before and after clustering?

Subject   Re: st: should estat sd reports same sd before and after clustering?
Date   Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:25:52 -0400

The Statalist FAQ request that you show both your code and results. As
you didn't, we have little idea of what you saw. I guess that your
-svyset- didn't specify a probability weight.

In that case, observations are equally weighted, and the estimated
population standard deviation *and* mean must be identical to the sample
versions, as given by -summarize-. Clustering, as you, noticed affects
only standard errors. The following shows that the sd and mean are
affected only by weighting  and not by clustering.

. sysuse auto, clear
. gen mkr = substr(make,1,2)

. svyset mkr
. svy: mean turn