RE: st: 3D Surface Plot Interpolation

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: 3D Surface Plot Interpolation
Date   Wed, 24 Jul 2013 18:20:08 +0000

Sergiy,

Yes, -twoway contour- does have some interpolation features but the methods are specific to contour plots (based on cuts of the y-variable rather than dividing the x- and y-variables into smaller pieces).  Moreover, -twoway contour- does not provide the interpolated values as an intermediate step (although going through the .ado file one can find the mata functions that do this and re-purpose them for some other project).

You are right that contour plots could be adequate for many situations, but for aesthetic reasons, I think some people like surface plots.  I got interested in this because I had someone with a data set with sparse x and y values and the SAS surface plot (dividing each unit in x and y into 10 subunits) was much nicer to look at than either the contour or surface modules in Stata.

I did find the Fortran code for Akima's algorithm and I also have Bill's Mata Matters article on Fortran->Mata conversion, so I think I will just plow ahead with that.  Putting the resulting data set into -surface- should do the trick.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Regards,
Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sergiy Radyakin
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:44 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: 3D Surface Plot Interpolation

Hi Joe,

Recently Stata added support for contour plots, I assume there is a similar task there, to smooth the color transitions. Check them out for bits and pieces. Perhaps you don't need a 3D plot after all, and can simply produce a contour plot?

That said, smoothing and plotting are two separate tasks, though some of the Stata commands like lowess do both.

for smoothing check Kolenikov's message:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-01/msg00355.html

Akima's algorithm is here:
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=79505.79510
the article seems to require a purchase, but the code was available for download (Fortran).

After smoothing is done in Stata, plotting can be done with either the user-written command you quoted, or by means of exporting to e.g.
Excel, which supports surface plots.

Best, Sergiy