re: st: Interrupted Time Series Analysis

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Interrupted Time Series Analysis
Date   Wed, 17 Jul 2013 07:37:26 -0400

There are two past threads that I responded to related to Ward's question, and they actually complement each other:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-09/msg00017.html

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-03/msg00117.html

To elaborate on my previous posts:

For an ARIMA model, you first have to ensure that you have sufficient observations in the pre and post period. The rule of thumb is 50 observations, in particular, so that you have sufficient observations to model seasonal components if they exist. If you don't have sufficient data, ARIMA models may not likely fit the data well.

Assume that you do have sufficient data, and you have performed all the appropriate procedures to identify the appropriate ARIMA model (see Linden et al 2003, and references therein, for a very basic description of the process). You can now combine the ARIMA model specification with regression covariates to estimate the "step" (intercept, or month after implementation of the intervention) and "trend" (slope, or trend in all months after intervention).

To do the second part (ie., the step, trend), I refer you to Linden & Adams (2011), section 3: "Single group analysis". Basically, you'll need to generate some variables (T, X, and T*X) in order to fit the model:

Y = β0 + β1T + β2X + β3TX

Here, T is the "treatment assignment" (1/0) and X is the pre-post period value (all pre-periods = 0, and all post periods = 1). The coefficient X will give you the difference in the pre-post intercept (ie., the step), and the T*X will give you the difference in the pre-post trend.

So now you could combine the two modeling approaches to look something like:

arima  Y T X TX, ar(1,1,0)

I hope this helps

Ariel

REFERENCES:

Linden A, Adams J, Roberts N. Evaluating disease management program effectiveness: An introduction to time series analysis. Disease Management. 2003;6(4):243-255.

Linden A, Adams JL. Applying a propensity-score based weighting model to interrupted time series data: improving causal inference in program evaluation. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. 2011;17:1231-1238.