Re: st: RE: FGLS vs. OLS

From   Lucas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: FGLS vs. OLS
Date   Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:53:16 -0700

I can only look at the stata documentation to see what they say
-sureg- is using.  I know of no way to reverse engineer the command to
see assess whether the documentation is accurate or not.

However, I would say that getting the same answer with -regress- and
-sureg- does NOT mean that -sureg- is using OLS.  FGLS gives the same
coefficients as OLS if the same variables are used in the multiple
equations one uses in -sureg-.

I should note, also, that you have only 1 equation in your
-sureg-command.  -Sureg- is for Zellner's model, and Zellner's model
is for multiple dependent variables and multiple sets of (likely
different) X (i.e., independent) variables.  I do not know the -sureg-
command enough to know what happens if you use it with only 1
dependent variable--perhaps it presumes you made a mistake, and
reverts to OLS.

Stata staff or other users may know what happens in such a case, but I
do not.  Sorry.

Sam