Re: st: loop in variables labels

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: loop in variables labels
Date   Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:31:28 +0100

This thread has already proved confusing given that the problem
description changed from this initial statement. That has led to some
very complicated code being suggested.

In addition, Haluk is not acting as recommended:

1. This thread was started by replying to a different thread, so
threading in the archives is messed up. As the FAQ indicates, you
should start a new thread with a new posting.

2. The heading here refers to variable labels, but the problem appears
to be about variable names.

3. The implication is that searching started with the FAQs or the
internet. Searching should generally start with -help- and the
manuals.

The irregularity in variable names implies that such irregularity
might be better ignored altogether. It appears that they keywords such
as  "DAYS" and the numbers such as "3" are the only crucial elements.
That leads to this code sketch:

foreach v of var * {
       local V : subinstr local v "_" " ", all
       tokenize `V'
       rename `v'  `2'_`1'
}

If all underscores are replaced with blanks, what is left can be
parsed into tokens. The wanted names appear to be the second token, an
 underscore and the first token.