Re: st: Re: Odds ratio graph - selecting order of bars

From   Michael Stewart <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Odds ratio graph - selecting order of bars
Date   Tue, 9 Jul 2013 20:18:37 -0400

HI ,
Would David/Nick or any statalist members recommend sources to learn
stata graphics , especially involving some programming like in
http://www.survey-design.com.au/Stata%20Graphs.html
Thanks
Mike

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM, David Hoaglin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, Mike.
>
> In that odds ratio graph, the first step should be to remove the bars.
>  They are not useful in such a display, as a later graph shows (by
> plotting the point estimates of the odds ratios without the bars).
>
> That site has a surprising number of poor graphical displays.
>
> David Hoaglin
>
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Michael Stewart
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am reffering to  http://www.survey-design.com.au/Stata%20Graphs.html
>>  , Odds ratio graph - selecting order of bars
>>
>> I cant understand the utility of "tab estimate, gen(kk)" command .I am
>> getting the same result with and without that command .
>>
>> The commands are as follows
>>
>> **********example begin*********
>>
>> sysuse nlsw88, clear
>> logit union married never_married collgrad south
>>
>> parmest, norestore eform
>>
>> tab estimate, gen(kk)
>>
>> //order of bars
>> input a
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>> 5
>>
>> egen axis= axis( a estimate), label(parm)
>>
>> twoway bar  estimate axis, base(1) horizontal barw(.5) ///
>> xline(1) ylab(, valuelabel angle(0)) ||                ///
>> rcap min95 max95 axis, horizontal                      ///
>> legend(order(1 "point estimate"                        ///
>> 2 "95% conf. int.") pos(6))                            ///
>> xtitle("odds ratio") ytitle("") scheme(color)

>> Thanks a lot for your time and consideration
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> --
>> Thank you ,
>> Yours Sincerely,