Re: st: referencing values of others on a variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: referencing values of others on a variable
Date   Tue, 9 Jul 2013 10:19:25 +0100

Let's look at

samerace= race==race[idstudent=idalter]

and fill in the implicit -generate- and correct the illegal = to ==

gen samerace= race==race[idstudent==idalter]

This is now legal but a long way from what you want.

The expression

idstudent==idalter

will be true (1) for observations in which idstudent == idalter and
false (0) otherwise. That means  false always, presumably. So Stata
sees

gen samerace = race==race[0]

but -race[0]- is outside the range of the data and therefore evaluated
as missing. So you end with  an indicator for missing race.

A strategy for your kind of data was spelled out at
http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=dm0043 As it is
quite detailed, I will not repeat it here.