st: move

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: move
Date   Wed, 03 Jul 2013 18:39:21 -0400

Hi.
I have been using -move-, and it seemed to behave oddly, until I began to understand what it means when they wrote: move relocates varname1 to the position of varname2 and shifts the remaining variables,
	including varname2, to make room.
I find that it cyclically rotates the set of variables in the range spanning from varname1 to varname2. Thus, varname1 will end up
after varname2 if it was originally before it, and vice-versa.

That seems inconsistent; or, it presents a problem in relation to my goal. I want to place varname1 after (or before) varname2, regardless of where it comes from.
Is there a way to do this?
I prefer not to use -order-, as the set of variables is somewhat large, and I want to place certain variables after one that is
somewhere near the middle. (I would need to spell out a long list of names.)

I use Stata 10. Is there greater capability for controlling this operation in Stata 11, 12, or 13?

Thanks
--David