Re: st: significance stars on stata plots

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: significance stars on stata plots
Date   Wed, 3 Jul 2013 19:05:42 +0100

1 piece of information per square cm translates for US citizens as
about 6 or 7 per square inch.
Not quite so catchy, unfortunately.

I go along with Ronan, as usual, and you won't find support for stars
or kisses in my graphics programs, except by accident.

However, I note that with two groups we should really be showing on
graphs the _difference between the means_ and its confidence interval.
That doesn't seem to be a widely used plot but there are some ideas in

Cumming, G. 2012.  Understanding the new statistics: Effect sizes,
confidence intervals, and
meta-analysis.  New York: Routledge.

Disclaimer: I agree with everything you might possibly say about
Cumming's use of the term "new statistics".