Re: st: strange kdensity behavior

From   Rebecca Pope <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: strange kdensity behavior
Date   Fri, 31 May 2013 15:29:43 -0500

Thanks Austin and Nick.

I missed the nuance that the -addplot- option used -twoway kdensity-.
Setting the number of estimation points does indeed ensure equivalent
results. That said, no amount of adjusting the estimation points seems
to improve the fit of the curve for std. dev. > 1. I think I'll just
stick to generating the density for my reference distributions from
their pdf's.

For posterity, Nick's suggestion to -generate- the density and
re-graph produces "prettier" graphs if the -at(varname)- option is
specified for -kdensity-. This means, however, that the -n()- option
can't be used.

Building on the code I already posted, this just illustrates the
"zoom" that I mentioned earlier and shows the difference between the
pdf and the kernel density estimate.

****
/* True Lognormal pdf evaluated at drawn value of X */
gen pdfx = 1/(lognorm*sqrt(2*_pi*`sig'^2))*exp(-((ln(lognorm)-`mu')^2)/(2*`sig'^2))

/* Obtain estimates of the density */
kdensity lognorm, generate(dens) at(lognorm) nograph
sort lognorm
twoway (line dens lognorm if lognorm <= 5, lpattern(dash)) (line pdfx
lognorm if lognorm <= 5), ///
 ytitle(Density) legend(order(1 "Kernel Density Estimate" 2 "Lognormal pdf"))

****

Thanks again to both of you.

Regards,
Rebecca