Re: st: R: label variable: curious response

Subject   Re: st: R: label variable: curious response
Date   Thu, 30 May 2013 15:45:24 -0400

The problem is not with the code, which is ok if you type it, but with
some program transforming the code somewhere in between you type it
and Stata get's it. Specifically the quotes symbol that you posted is
not the quotes symbol that Stata expects, or in other words it is
char(148) and not char(34).

Word is known to do that, perhaps some email programs are doing it too.

If you copy the code from the statalist posting it should show an error.
If you type the suggested code in Stata it should work, since you are
likely will be pressing the right quotes key instinctively.

Best, Sergiy